In this short video, I demonstrate how to install the Swarm64 DA extension into an existing PostgreSQL database. The Swarm64 DA extension enhances PostgreSQL with faster query performance via a number of features like greater parallelism, compressed columnstore indexing, faster JOIN algorithms and more.
Before you begin, make sure your PostgreSQL database server meets the Swarm64 DA system requirements and that you have a Swarm64 DA license key. You can get a free license key for development usage here.
Download Swarm64 DA
You can download the Swarm64 DA extension packages for Ubuntu or CentOS here. If your PostgreSQL database runs on another platform (e.g., Windows), we can help you with that, just contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Install the Swarm64 DA extension into your database
Installation is simple and takes just a few minutes. Follow the steps, which are explained in detail in the Swarm64 DA getting started guide:
1. Install the Swarm64 DA repository
2. Install the Swarm64 DA package for your version of PostgreSQL (either PG 12 or 13)
3. Add Swarm64 DA to the “shared_preload_libraries” setting in your PostgreSQL configuration file
4. Restart your database
5. Login to your database and load the Swarm64 DA extension (CREATE EXTENSION swarm64da)
6. Install your Swarm64 DA license (SELECT swarm64da.load_license(”);
Configuring and testing your Swarm64 DA-accelerated PostgreSQL database
Now that the Swarm64 DA extension is installed into your database, you should begin to see faster query performance. Here are some additional steps to get the maximum query speed up from Swarm64 DA:
- Run the Swarm64 DA Settings Advisor
- SELECT * FROM swarm64da.show_advice();
- This helps ensure your PostgreSQL configuration settings are optimized for fast query performance
- Create columnstore indexes
- Columnstore indexes reduce I/O for queries—especially for large tables
- Contact us
- Not seeing as much acceleration as you hoped? Ping us…we are happy to discuss your use case and share advice
Thanks, and have fun! Let us know if you have any questions.