Elastic PostgreSQL scaling with parallel query processing
A free open source patch to the PostgreSQL foreign data wrapper interface that enhances PostgreSQL with elastic scaling and faster query processing under concurrent user load.
- Parallel query performance across shards. If you divide your data across separate PostgreSQL shards (via foreign data tables), the patch allows queries to execute against their respective shards in parallel for better performance and greater concurrency.
- Dynamic cluster sizing. With a bit of load balancer cleverness, shards can be added or removed from a cluster, dynamically.
pg_dump foreign table data (FDW) backup & restore
Foreign tables extend PostgreSQL in many useful ways. Unfortunately, prior to PostgreSQL 13, pg_dump does not fully support the backup and restoration of foreign table data.
In order to make PostgreSQL database administration easier, we developed a patched version of pg_dump that allows you to dump and restore not only the definition of the foreign table, but the content of the table as well, using the
--include-foreign-data option. The contribution was committed into the PostgreSQL 13 release.
TPC-DS benchmarking kit for PostgreSQL
If you want to test PostgreSQL query performance against other databases or on one hardware platform versus another, this kit might help. The offering includes everything you need to run industry-standard TPC-H and TPC-DS benchmarks on Postgres:
- Schema generator – scripts to create a TPC-H or TPC-DS schema in your PostgreSQL database.
- Data generator – generate and load TPC-H or TPC-DS data sets at any scale factor you choose.
- Benchmark execution – a Python program runs the TPC-H or TPC-DS queries on your database. Config parameters allow you to control which queries you run, or set query timeout limits, and parallel workers, etc.